11.16.2009

Organizing and Storing Camp Equipment

It's that time of year. Unless you like cold weather camping, it's time to put away camping equipment for the season. This is a perfect opportunity to go through your camp equipment and make any necessary repairs, take inventory, and clean it up for storage.

I have several big plastic bins I keep my camping stuff stored in. Each according to type. So most of my camp cookware is stored in one, ropes and such in a bag placed in another container, and personal care items in another.

This is also a good time to take stock and have a list of items you'd like to buy or replace over the winter. Winter time is an excellent time to find camping items on sale, making it the perfect time to buy. Make a quick list of things to watch for and regularly scan sales and eBay.

Tents should ideally be cleaned and aired out before storage. Any tears or waterproofing should be fixed at this time. I've found placing them in a loosely covered trash bag, but not sealed, seems to keep mildew at bay. 

Although I always get that little twinge of sadness when packing my camping stuff away for the season, I can't wait to find new bargains over the winter and start planning for camping trips the following year.

No comments:

Post a Comment