11.18.2009

What Do You Look For In a Campground?

One thing I like to do in the camping off season is scope out potential campgrounds I'd like to check out. I love the water, and really love the beach. So I often look for campgrounds near beaches I'd like to visit. State Parks have proven invaluable in my experiences so far.

I've camped at Carolina Beach State Park in Carolina Beach, NC, and also at the Myrtle Beach State Park campground. There were pros and cons either way. At Myrtle Beach, the campground was ocean front, a huge plus! And they had a general store stocked with all kinds of camping items. The downfall was the tent camping sites were tiny, and the one I got was right beside the shower house, so I heard the screen door slam and toilets flush all night. Not so great.

Carolina Beach State Park is hands down my favorite. The sites are large, and there's a path that leads to a central shower house. Just far enough away to keep it quiet and still have privacy at your camp site. I've often encountered squirrels and deer first thing in the morning on the paths, I love it! The only con is it is not ocean front. It's a very short drive to the beach, but it is outside the campground, so you have to be back in before 10 or so before they lock the gate.

There are other state park campgrounds in NC I've checked out online, and they look great. Especially some in the Cape Hatteras area. They seem more primitive, and that's okay with me, too. I've also camped right on the beach in the north end of Carolina Beach. It was really roughing it, and I'm not sure I could last more than a couple days there, but really enjoyed myself on the trip I took. 

The bottom line is, take your time to research the campground before you set out. Have a plan B if you arrive and it's not what you are looking for. I found tons of reviews of the places I've visited online, and all were very helpful. On the other hand, sometimes it's just fun to pack up and go, camping where ever you see fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment